Thornbury-Clarksburg Rotary Projects
Craigleith Depot Restoration
The Craigleith Depot is a piece of our local history. Opened in 1880, The Depot served the rail travellers to the area for main decades, eventually becoming the terminus for the "snow trains" that arrived, loaded with skiers, keen to try the new facilities at Blue Mountain.
After the trains stopped running along this line, the building lived for many years as a quaint restaurant. Finally, the Town of The Blue Mountains purchased the property, and a volunteer organization began fundraising to finance the restoration of the building.
These efforts have successfully saved this beautiful old building, and T-C Rotary is pleased to have contributed $10,000 to the cause!
The new Craigleith Depot will now serve as a "hub" for travellers on the existing trails -- both the wonderful Georgian Trail which goes past its front door and the rapidly-developing new trails that will lead to Blue Mountain Resort, Scenic Caves, and the ancient Petun archeological site. Also serving as an information and interpretive center as well as conveniently-located rest point, the Depot is about to take on a whole new lease on life!
The plan develops...
Early in the process, T-C Rotary was shown the plans for the renovated Craigleith Depot. Here, George South discusses the plans with George Wieder and Don Braden of the committee.
Restoration & renovation well underway
Looking south from the adjacent Georgian Trail, the foundation work is evident. Yes, those are some of the famous Craigleith Depot Lilacs in the foreground!
The new addition is almost complete
The new addition on the east side of the old building will add much-needed space.
Ready for occupancy!
Restoration complete and new landscaping in place, the Depot has begun to look like it must have looked in 1880!
With a good parking lot and a trail to and from the Depot from the Georgian Trail, the new Craigleith Depot is sure to become that vital hub for travelers using ALL modes of transportation.